vmware won't fire up

Author: Mike Starke
Subject: vmware won't fire up
Hmmm, not sure if my nightly 'apt-get upgrade' caused this
problem or not, but I just tried to fire up my vmware to access XP
and here is the message I get:
VMware Workstation Error:
VMware Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured for your running kernel.
To (re-)configure it, your system administrator must find and run "vmware-config.pl".
For more information, please read file "INSTALL" in the VMware Workstation documentation directory

Kind of makes me wish I had a system Administrator at home here to fix this:-)

So, as root I run "vmware-config.pl". I've done it before, so I thought a quick run
thru, and this fluke would flush itself out.

I get to the first part where it complains about pre-built modules not
able to work w/my kernel: No problem, it has always said that. So it asks whether I have
a C compiler, i say yes, and then it spits out this message:

Argument "gcc (GCC) 3" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
line 1476, <STDIN> line 1.

I run the rest of the way thru...all kinds of warnings when compiling the mod's.
everything appears to go fine, but still no go.

Any ideas? Or should I whip off a message to the vmware team?

-mike