how do I get a display of the kernel log to appear via xterm…

Author: Paul Dickson
Subject: how do I get a display of the kernel log to appear via xterm?
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 03:08:28 -0700, technomage wrote:

> The subject pretty much says it all.
> I want to be able to access the live syslog and have it display to the current
> term while it is also writing to disk. any commands to do this?

    tail -n 40 --follow=name /var/log/messages |cat -v

The "-n 40" is optional, but it provides some context. The
"--follow=name" means that when your messages file is rotated, the new one
(with the new messages) is followed. The "|cat -v" prevents escape
sequences from getting interpreted by the console/terminal.

    -Paul