using nc to simulate a service

Author: Kevin Buettner
Subject: using nc to simulate a service
On Aug 12, 12:01pm, Mike Starke wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:53:28AM -0700, Kevin Buettner wrote:
> /_Why bother with netcat? Instead, just make your perl script listen on
> /_the port directly...
> /_
>
> You mean something like:
> myhyla  stream  tcp     nowait  me     /home/me/perlscripts/hylafax_polling.pl     /home/me/perlscripts/hylafax_polling.pl

> in inetd.conf?

Or have your script listen on the port directly. It wouldn't be invoked
by inetd in this case. (You'd start it by hand or have a startup script
invoke it.)

> I also made an entry in /etc/services for myhyla.
>
> I tried it, and I am having a hard time passing parameters to the script.
> Hard time is an understaement, I have NOT succeeded.

Remind me again how you were attempting to pass parameters? (Unfortunately,
I've deleted your original message. My recollection was that you were
attempting to pass parameters via telnet? If so, that won't work.)

Kevin