Thank You, Linus! : Why linux is and always will be less vir…

Author: Entelin
Subject: Thank You, Linus! : Why linux is and always will be less virus prone.
I do not think virii will ever be nearly the problem it is for windows.
This is because the anti root security model is enforced in any
distribution by default. Windows to the contrary, historically was not
designed with any security model giving rise to typically security brain
dead 3rd party software, global only configuration, and common bad user
practice such as making all domain users local admin. Windows XP's
install even sets users up with full admin privs, as does any suppliers
default config. This would not happen wide scale in Linux because Linux
and Unix as a whole does not have this history and no tech in their
right mind would ever think of letting a common user run as root (at
least not on a wide enough scale to enable massive virii dists). Also
Virii heavily rely on uniform configuration and software dists/versions.
Linux does not and hopefully will not ever have such complete and total
version consolidation as windows has. Available updates are also far
more frequent in active Linux projects even if somehow there became only
one dist, the chance that everyone would all be running on the same
version is less for this reason. Lastly it comes down to the open source
mentality, when the source is open to look at the developers can not
hide behind anything, they can not make any excuses because weather they
fix it or someone else fixes it, it will be fixed if it annoys some
talented people. Some reports have shown that there have been about the
same number of security holes found in Linux software than in the
Windows OS. Of course thats completely unfair and there are many ways of
measuring this however it points to one interesting fact. If we are able
to find that many holes in a closed source OS like Windows just imagine
how many more than Linux it must really have. *not to mention the
limited number of systems that are actually affected by any found on
Linux*. Microsoft also just plain doesn't care, there are an
unbelievable number of Microsoft verified bugs in windows that they just
do not fix! Searching on www.technet.com (Microsoft's support site) will
reveal quite a number of documents which ends with answers such as
"Microsoft recommends not using this feature", "Microsoft has verified
this as a problem but no solution is currently available", or my
favorite "Reformat and reinstall is the only solution to this problem".
Microsoft fixes security bugs but only the minimum of actual bugs. It's
a fact and I am sick of it. (I have to reload our companies exchange
server this weekend because of this).

PS: I would love to see a performance comparison of a windows server
running a virus scanner VS a Linux server without, because thats the
reality of it.