New Dell laptop dificulties

Author: Kevin Brown
Subject: New Dell laptop dificulties
Craig White wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 13:49, Charlie Bullen wrote:
>
>>I have a new Dell Inspiron 1100. The first thing I did was wipe the
>>harddrive so I could start with a clean slate. Due to work
>>considerations I have to use windows XP for certain things, so I now
>>have a dual boot with XP and Redhat 9.0.
>>
>>On the linux side I am having a few networking problems. The box came
>>with a broadcom 440X nic, which is unsupported by Redhat out of the box
>>and I also use a Linksys WPC11 wireless card, which is supported by
>>Redhat out of the box.
>>
>>I downloaded and installed the drivers for the broadcom installed then
>>and that works fine. I also configured the wireless card and it works
>>fine, except that I can't get it to work in encrypted mode yet(probably
>>my typing of the key).
>>
>>With the wireless card in place, it is ETH0 and the broadcom is ETH1.
>>The problem arises when I boot into Linux when the wireless card is not
>>inserted, which is the case when I am at a remote site. Then the
>>broadcom is recognized as ETH0 and it tries to use the orinoco prism
>>driver from the wireless card. And I then have no connectivity at all.
>>
>>What I want to happen is, I think, to have the broadcom designated as
>>ETH0 using the driver I install, but not have ETH0 activated at boot and
>>have the wireless designated as ETH1 and activated at boot when it is
>>present.
>>

> ----
> /etc/modules.conf
>
> alias eth0 whatever_driver_broadcom_uses
> alias eth1 orinoco_cs (or whatever your prism II driver uses)
>
> depmod -ae
>
> swap /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 & ifcfg-eth1
>
> - to make the WEP happen...
>
> iwconfig -essid "Wireless_network" key "9999-9999-9999-9999-9999" or
> better yet...put the appropriate items in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts

Red Hat doesn't use the normal PCMCIA information. You can add the key to the
ifcfg-ethX script to get it to work. Also switching the names of the files will
not switch the devices the files want to configure.

ifup and ifdown, the two Red Hat network scripts, accept an argument from the
command line and then look for a file called ifcfg-<argument>. So if you have a
file called ifcfg-home for your home config, then you would type "ifup home".
Inside those files they have a DEVICE= line that tells the scripts what device
to actually bring up. So you have to change the DEVICE= line in those scripts.
They also have an ONBOOT= option for whether the interface should be brought
up during boot time.