kde error log?

Author: Ed Skinner
Subject: kde error log?
Where does kde log errors?
     I upgraded to java 1.4 (Sun says it works on RH 7.2 but I'm running =
8.0=20
so there could be trouble there) and added Java's paths to $PATH (via=20
/etc/profile, placing the new paths at the front and appending the old=20
$PATH). The only place I've seen a problem (so far) is in Konqueror when =
I=20
tell it to print. After a few seconds it complains:

Catastrophe! - KNotify
A print error occured. Error message received from system:
Unable to start child print process. The KDE print server (kdeprintd) cou=
ld=20
not be contacted. Check that this server is running.

     Mozilla (and some other programs I've tried) print normally.
     I backed out the PATH change and printing works. However, there's no=
t=20
kdeprintd sitting around all the time. (I presume it comes and goes only =
as=20
needed and the launching was failing with the new Java.)
     Does kde log errors somewhere? I didn't find a *.log file in the=20
$HOME/.kde but there are several postscript files in /tmp/kde-eskinner (m=
y=20
login).
     Suggestions?
    TIA