Email setup

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Email setup
Joel W. Leibow said:
> Alright, I have decided to take on the task of setting up some sort of
> email service on a new server. I unfortunately have no experience with
> this type of sysadmin duty, i'm a developer by nature. I have been
> reading through the sendmail documentation and readme files and was
> pretty much ready to set it up when I decided I would ask for some
> advice first. What I have is a Red Hat Linux 7.3 server running apache
> and mysql with php. I host several sites off the server with a virtual
> host configuration (one IP). I would like to be able to set up
> something that will give each domain hosted on the server an incoming
> and outgoing pop and smtp server. Could anyone clue me in as to what
> the easiest way to do this is? Is sendmail the way to go or is there
> something easier to configure? Is there something that makes sendmail
> easier to configure? I have removed the sendmail RPM's that Red Hat
> installs and was going to start from scratch with the most recent
> version of sendmail. Can anyone give me any sort of advice? Input is
> much appreciated.

Sendmail is a great mail package, but I don't think it's necessarily the
best one to 'start' with. It's configuration is fairly complex (which
makes it powerful), but you can really hurt yourself if you are not
skilled in the black art of Sendmail.

Qmail is a nice package, with a "cheerful" maintainer, yes that is
sarcasm. It is easier to install and configure than Sendmail, but not by
much.

I would suggest using Postfix if this is your first mail installation. It
is much easier than Sendmail/Qmail and likely will do everything you need.
Regardless of what package you pick, I suspect you will find someone on
this list with experience willing to help you out. :)

-Derek