Unable to get online

Author: Craig White
Subject: Unable to get online
On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 09:39, FrankMandato wrote:
>    When I use dhcp and activate eth0 I get a "Determining IP iformation
> for eth0... failed" errormessage. I ahve disabled my firewall as well as
> iptables and still can't get out.

> Thanks
>
> FrankM
>
> Jeffrey Pyne wrote:
>
> >Are you assigning a static IP address to eth0? If so, that might be your
> >problem. Cox wants you to use DHCP. Change the configuration of eth0 so
> >that it grabs its IP address, default gateway, netmask, etc. from Cox's
> >servers and try again. You may have to power off your cable modem for a
> >minute or two to clear its cache in order for your RH box to obtain an IP
> >address from DHCP.
> >
> >Also, if your firewall rules are blocking ICMP, that might be why you can't
> >ping anything. Try stopping your firewall and see if you can ping your
> >default gateway, nameservers, www.google.com, etc.
> >
> >HTH,
> >
> >Jeff
> >
> >On Monday, July 07, 2003 9:10 AM, FrankMandato wrote:
> >

> >> I also changed my IP address to 68.98.10.73, but the
> >>routing table never changes, I tried adding that address
> >>manually, but I get an error message that the netmask
> >>does not match the IP address, the netmask I use is
> >>255.255.255.240 for the new address.

---------
One little but very important detail for Cox & cable modems - they hold
out for a single MAC address, I presume as a security caution to keep
them from being hijacked.

If you pull the power plug on the cable modem for 5 minutes and then
plug it back in, it will reset the modem, reload its configuration from
Cox's TFTP server and allow you to switch MAC addresses
(computers/network cards)

Try it

Craig