RTFM crashes

Author: KevinO
Subject: RTFM crashes
Rob Wultsch wrote:
> I downloaded the 130 odd meg plug archeive and tried to read it with
> openoffice. NO JOY. I try kedit. Nope...
>
> So far only good old nano has not crashed, but reading things in nano
> sucks.
>
> Any suggestions for RTFM? (or should it be PA-plug archeive?)

Plug-announce is strictly announcements.

man less
man grep
;-)

ie:

cat <archive> | grep <something> | less

Open office is for reading/writing DOCUMENTS. It is not intended for plain
text files.(Use vi, emacs, pico, nano, nedit, etc.)

It would open the file for viewing except that the file is probably too large
for it to handle, and it probably doesn't know what to do with a .mbox
(mailbox file) anyway. I would assume that OO would still try it as plain text
though.

Trying to glean information you need from the plug archives will be a bit
tedious, or basically impossible if you are using a viewer or editor w/o a
searching capability.

Learn to use some of the 'basic' features of the 'less' command. (Use the '/'
character to enter a search string, hit the 'n' key for the next match, etc.)

less plug-discuss.mbox

- --
KevinO

Hickory Dickory Dock, The mice ran up the clock, The clock struck one, The
others escaped with minor injuries.