apfilter, ghostscript, and printer! yikes!

Author: rustyc
Subject: apfilter, ghostscript, and printer! yikes!
Help! I've fallen and I cannot get up!

Oh, wait, wrong story.

I've finally decided to get my Canon BJC6000 printer
working - somehow. (DON'T BUY CANON PRINTERS!)

So, first attempt was to run vmware and print using
the windows printer driver under windows, exported
via samba to linux. (VMware allows the windows client
OS to have access to devices you specify, and I tried
to let it have the parallel port).

This attempt failed miserably - when I try to have VMWare
take the printer port it says

"Unsupported parallel port hardware /dev/parport0
(no ECR register).
Failed to connect device parallel0
    [OK]"

(I tried with lp0, and it complained about not having
readback (basically)).

Ok, I thought, so the kludge won't work, how about doing
it 'right' - I'll get ghostscript working.

Installed gs 6.01
Installed lprng (removing lpr)
Installed apsfilter

Everything looked good. Tried to print. Nothing.

syslog says:

Sep 15 18:27:18 base-station-alpha kernel: ppuser00: registered pardevice
Sep 15 18:27:18 base-station-alpha kernel: ppuser00: claim the port first
Sep 15 18:27:18 base-station-alpha kernel: ppuser00: released pardevice because user-space forgot
Sep 15 18:27:18 base-station-alpha kernel: ppuser00: unregistered pardevice

the lp2.0 log says:

Filter_status: lp2 is ready and printing

Ok, so the obvious thing is that my execve target is bad. Here's a look at it:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Sep 14 18:52 aps1-bjc610a0.upp-letter-auto-default -> ../bin/apsfilter*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Sep 14 18:52 aps2-bjc610a0.upp-letter-raw -> ../bin/apsfilter*

And here's what it points at:

-r-xr-xr-x    1 bin      wheel       55807 Sep 14 19:13 ../bin/apsfilter*

THAT all looks good to me.

So, ANYBODY, HELP! What have I fat-fingered?

Oh, just in case it helps, here is my /etc/printcap:

# LABEL apsfilter
# apsfilter setup Thu Sep 14 18:51:53 MST 2000
#
# DON'T DELETE THIS:
# APS_BASEDIR:/root/apsfilter
#
# APS1_BEGIN:printer1:bjc610a0.upp:letter:default
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
#
lp2|aps1-bjc6000a1.upp-letter-auto-default|Printer1 bjc6000a1.upp letter auto default:\
    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/printer1-bjc6000a1.upp-letter-auto-default:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/printer1-bjc6000a1.upp-letter-auto-default/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/printer1-bjc6000a1.upp-letter-auto-default/acct:\
    :if=/root/apsfilter/filter/aps1-bjc610a0.upp-letter-auto-default:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
# APS1_END - don't delete this END LABEL for printer1

Ok, I lied, I deleted all but lp2.

anybody have a clue? I'm totally baffled...

rusty