Smbmount for Normal Users

Author: Steve Holmes
Subject: Smbmount for Normal Users
Forgive some of my dumbness, but where can one begin learning about
automount. Do I need to install some packages or what? I have heard
of automount or autofs with regards to configuring the kernel but...

For simplest terms I'm really wanting to mount an SMB share with a
matching user name hence the need to be a normal user when I use
smbmount. If I use the regular mount command, I *always* get the
error that root is required to do that. When I did a setuid for
smbmnt, I get a bit further but I still get the "operation not
permitted error."

Are there any other ideas out there?