(Fwd) [IP] MS Windows Crash Traps Thai Politician in Car

Author: Gene Holmerud
Subject: (Fwd) [IP] MS Windows Crash Traps Thai Politician in Car
--0-86712961-1054178793=:60717

Previously posted:

> Here is a quote from UCLA professor Phil Agre.
>
> "Knowledge lives in communities, not individuals.
> A computer user who's not part of a community of
> computer users is going to have a harder time of
> it than one who is."

I have a real problem with such a statement. In between two such extremes is where the progress can occur. Communities can be greater than the sum of their parts. They can also be tyranical (e.g. Home Owner Associations). And individuals in a community (e.g. Jim Ervin) can wrek havoc. How the balance between those extremes is maintained is the key. Individual contributions are needed and so is tempering help from the group. The group can fill in the gaps of any individual's expertise, and the group needs to fully appreciate the individual's contributions.

Gene

--0-86712961-1054178793=:60717

<DIV><BR>Previously posted:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>&gt;<BR>&gt; Here is a quote from UCLA professor Phil Agre.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; "Knowledge lives in communities, not individuals.<BR>&gt; A computer user who's not part of a community of<BR>&gt; computer users is going to have a harder time of<BR>&gt; it than one who is."<BR>&gt;</P>
<P>I have a real problem with such a statement.&nbsp;&nbsp;In between two such extremes is where the progress can occur.&nbsp; Communities can be greater than the sum of their parts.&nbsp;&nbsp;They can also be tyranical (e.g. Home Owner Associations).&nbsp;&nbsp; And individuals in a community (e.g. Jim Ervin) can wrek havoc.&nbsp;&nbsp;How the&nbsp;balance between those extremes is maintained is the key.&nbsp; Individual contributions are needed and so is&nbsp;tempering help&nbsp;&nbsp;from the group.&nbsp; The group can fill in the gaps of any individual's expertise, and the group needs to fully appreciate the individual's contributions.</P>
<P>Gene</P></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Free <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/*http://calendar.yahoo.com">online calendar</a> with sync to Outlook(TM).
--0-86712961-1054178793=:60717--