Dumb Terminal?

Author: Carl Parrish
Subject: Dumb Terminal?
On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 14:26, Gary Nichols wrote:
> On 9 May 2003, Carl Parrish wrote:
>
> > A *long* time ago when I worked for motorola we had what we called dumb
> > terminal they were little more than monitors connected though the lan to
> > a powerhouse machine (or at least what counted for a power house back
> > then). Recently I was reading an article (which I can't find now) where
> > Sun had these kewl little boxes that connected to your monitor and your
> > lan and you could use them as dumb terminals to a sun box (not sure if
> > you could use them with linux). I *love* this idea If I could free up my
> > desk space move *all* my computers to my computer room (most are now but
> > I still have two bulky ones in my office and my admin has a few in
> > hers), and just place this cute little box on my desk I'd be a happy
> > person. So does anyone know of any good dumb terminal for Linux? Yeah I
> > know I can *make* any computer into a dumb terminal but mostly what I'm
> > looking for is something small and something that will display very good
> > graphics (in case I ever have a lan game night or something). Since I
> > don't think there is much to this I don't think it should be costly but
> > my main conciderations are small, fast, works with linux (terminal
> > servers) and good graphics. Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> You want a Sun Ray - on eBay for $30.

6. What are the requirements for a Sun Ray server?
The server must be running Solaris 2.6 Operating Environment or later
and must have at least 40 MB of RAM for each active user. In addition,
Sun recommends that each CPU support 10 to 25 users, depending on the
applications the users are accessing.
This *so* sounds like what I want only it says it needs the Sun Ray
Server to work anyone know of anyone running it with LTSP?