Gentoo General Install Question

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Gentoo General Install Question
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Larry Lauer wrote:

> I am thinking about trying out Gentoo linux and after a little reading
> it sounds like the install could take 20+ hours from start to finish. I
> am not sure if stage3 is a faster option or not. Anybody know if there
> is any truth to the rumors? Is anybody currently using it on the list?
> If so any thoughts concerns about it. Thanks and I hope this has not
> came up before and I just missed it.
>
> Larry Lauer
> The Arizona Motorsports Group

The install time kinda depends on a few things (yes, I currently use
gentoo).

1) cpu/memory. I had a amdxp 1700 (1.4Ghz) and 256M ram. install took i
full day (wake to sleep). no gui, though :) I had a full gnome install
by the next morning.

I also did a stage1 install.

2) what you install. kde? expect 25+ hours *just* for kde. if you have
USE=mysql , etc. it will take longer. gnome? less than 12 hours.
just a command line os? not nearly as long.

The stage 3 cuts alot off the install time. However, you might not get
all the optimizations you want, if you are looking for that.

of course, you can always start with a stage 3, then over time, recompile
everything else :)

David