documentation versioning

Author: Liberty Young
Subject: documentation versioning

I'm interested in having a version control system for our business
documents. I liked Abiword, since it stored it's documents in XML, which
made it very easy to use with CVS. However, I like the rich set of
features that StarOffice and OpenOffice.org have. I noticed that
StarOffice has built-in version control. What other alternatives are
there? Keep in mind that this is a heterogeneous environment, so it must
be MS friendly.
I'm leaning toward StarOffice since i can save-as MS word documents and
let the microsoft weened people do their work in MS-word, give it to me,
and i can merge it with StarOffice.