Small but nagging problem

Author: Robert N. Eaton
Subject: Small but nagging problem
Within the last couple of months I changed from Mandrake 8.1 to RedHat 8.0.
Of the reasons for doing so, paramount was the fact that RH uses Sane and
Mandrake uses Kooka(sp?) as an interface for the scanner. In this area
RH wins.

I also have two cd devices: CD-ROM BDV316C, and Yamaha CRW2200E.

hdc:DVD-ROM BDV316C, ATAPI CD/DVD ROM drive
hdd:YAMAHA CRW2200E,ATAPI CD/DVD ROM drive

is how they appear in dmesg.

(hdc is a DVD device and hdd is a CD/RW device.)

/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

is how they appear in fstab.

The small problem is that neither one will play audio CD's.

KsCD says "Yes, yes, I'm working. See the CD title? See the track number?
See the seconds ticking by?"

But no audio. Sound Server works. System Sounds drove me crazy before I
disabled most of it.

I know I'm missing something, but have no clue. I've looked in the manual
that came with RH 8.0. It is to laugh. I've gone into the documentation
CD and found no joy.

Where should I look next?

A larger problem would be to set up the two devices to do their respective
things: i.e., reading DVD's and writing CD/R's if possible. I seem to have
found some evidence that DVD's are not entirely forbidden to Linux any
more.

Bob Eaton