DHCP and local DNS

Author: Peter Buechler
Subject: DHCP and local DNS
On Friday 14 March 2003 09:46 am, Subba Rao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a DHCP connection to my ISP. My home LAN has been configured into my
> local DNS. Each time I reboot the system, /etc/resolv.conf is overwritten
> with the ISP's information only. How can I avoid the /etc/resolv.conf
> being overwritten each time the system is rebooted?
>
> My system is running Debian 3.0 (woody).
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.

It depends on whether you are using pump or dhcpd. I will assume pump, I think
that is the default.

You need to add --no-dns to the call to "pump". Sounds easy. But the call to
pump is made from ifup, which is invoked from the script
/etc/init.d/networking. Therefore to make the fix you need to talk to pump
directly. You do this by creating a new file, /etc/pump.conf. It should
contain the following:

device eth0 {
    nodns
}

That is, assuming that your ISP is through eth0. Look at the man page for pump
for more information, under the section CONFIG_FILE.

-Pete-