Small business job resources

Author: Vaughn Treude
Subject: Small business job resources
Alexander:
I was going to spare you the details unless you were interested. And to be
honest, all of my work has been gotten from the first three items I've listed
below.

a) Referrals from people I know from previous "real" jobs. This was how I
got started as an independent.
b) The Phoenix Area Consultants Network of the IEEE. This is a group of
engineering types that meets at Monti's restaurant in Tempe on the second
Thursday evening of each month. (Yes, that conflicts with east-side PLUG,
which is why I seldom go there.) We're a bit of an older group, so a lot of
the guys have many contacts from over the years. I think one of the reasons
I've done well here is because we have such a variety of skills, that people
refer other members for jobs they can't handle. Also I've been a long-time
member, I'm on the board, and attend very regularly. The fees are very
reasonable ($25 a year to join) and you don't have to be an IEEE member to
joing. See www.ieeepacn.com.
c) The Indus Enterpeneurs - I got one of my current jobs through this group,
which I only recently joined. This group was founded by Indian-American
business people in Silicon valley, and it's now an international
organization, and they welcome people of all ethnicities. The meetings are
monthly but irregularly scheduled, and it's quite a bit more costly to join
than the PACN. ($100 year plus $100 to join for the first time) Still, it
looks like a good opportunity with lots of startups and small businesses
involved. See www.tie-arizona.org.
d) The Arizona Technology Council, formerly Azsoft.com, formerly ASIA,
formerly the Arizona Software Association. It's also somewhat pricey and
tends to be oriented toward larger businesses, Intel and Motorola types,
though there are smaller businesses involved. Meetings are also irregular
but fairly frequent, and I haven't gotten any work through this organization,
but I haven't attended very regularly, either. See www.aztechcouncil.org.
e) Arizona Tech Oasis (www.techoasis.com) sponsors monthly happy hour-type
networking events in different places around the valley, plus Tucson and
Yuma. There's no cost, and they have cheap drinks available. (There used to
be free drinks and free food and door prizes, back before the Internet bubble
burst.) There's one in Tempe (second Tuesday), one at the Scottsdale airpark
(third Tuesday) and one in downtown Phoenix (fourth Tuesday.)
f) There's a new organization called AZSNAP, Arizona Scottsdale Network
Airpark. I attend their meetings occasionally because there are a lot of
tech businesses in the Scottsdale airpark. See www.azsnap.com.
g) If this isn't enough, my PACN colleague Mark Goldstein does a monthly
online calendar of tech-related events in the Valley. See
www.researchedge.com/atic.

Your mileage may vary, and remember, networking takes time and persistence to
succeed. (For example, it's good to collect business cards, make notes on
the back, and send email followups to those contacts that interest you.)

Good luck!
Vaughh