linux forensics and recovery

Author: KevinO
Subject: linux forensics and recovery
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, eric. wrote:
>

>>I am downloading the ISO's and burning them myself with Roxio EZ CD 5.
>>Knoppix boots, but with all kinds of errors, culminating in roughly "unable
>>to mount vfs; kernel panic."

It sounds as if you are not burning good CDs from the ISO files.

The md5 checksum of the burned CD should be verified to match the md5sum of
the ISO file as well as the published md5sum from the knoppix website before
complaining to the knoppix guys.

There are a lot of CD-burning programs out there that make it difficult or
impossible to burn a good, bootable CD. (especially windows programs)

The solution might be as easy as changing a setting in Roxio (a program I am
unfamiliar with) or as difficult as getting someone else to burn it for you.

Many on this list, myself included, would be willing to burn a 'good' disk for
little or no money.(Enough to cover the media costs ... or a buck or two)

Unfortunately, not all CDRW drives are created equal either...

- --
KevinO

A "few" is an indefinitely small number that conveys a qualitative sense of a
quantity, but not quantitative fact.