mailmerge question

Author: Mark Phillips
Subject: mailmerge question
I know this is a Linux discussion list and I support (and use) Linux, so
please don't flame me for my comments. Also, there is not a lot of
information about this problem, so I may be assuming too much.

I think a Linux/Open Source as a solution is totally inappropriate. As I
understand the problem, this friend wants to do a mail merge. He/She uses
MS Word, (I assume for other mail merges as well), and now wants to add
some graphic images to the document. Why give them a new server using a new
OS and an application they know nothing about and probably can't support,
when all they want to do is create a mailing? In this case, why not just
use (horrors!!!) VB or even a MSWord macro to write a small merge
application that adds the pictures to the MS Word documents? This person
can throw away the app/macro when done, or use it again if needed. The
impact to his/her business is minimal and he/she can focus on the value of
the business instead of a neat new technology.

I am sure I am missing something, but to add a server with an operating
system that the user (probably) cannot support just to merge some documents
into a mailing seems a little overkill.

Again, this is just my opinion. If you have to flame me, then at least do
it off the list!

Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc.

480 945-0798
480 945-9197 fax

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message,
however, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.