CBDTPA Call To Arms : Senator John Mc Cain

Author: Derek Neighbors
Subject: CBDTPA Call To Arms : Senator John Mc Cain
Those that do not know, there is some legislation in the works orginally
the SSSCA and now the CBDTPA (http://www.eff.org/IP/SSSCA_CBDTPA/). This
is relevant to us specifically because we are constituents of Arizona.
Our own Senator, John McCain, on the Commerce Commitee is helping propel
some of the Digital Rights Management (DRM) legislation.

>From his website (http://mccain.senate.gov/commagenda03.htm)

Communications. The Committee will examine the financial crisis in the
industry, spectrum policies, Federal Communications Commission
reauthorization, media consolidation, cable rates, broadband deployment
and local competition, the transition to digital television, online and
offline consumer privacy, ownership diversification, and ___consumer uses
of digital content___. The Committee also will assess whether broadcasters
are meeting their public interest obligations, including the availability
of the lowest unit rate charge in the 2002 elections, and will consider
legislation to provide free air time to political candidates

Richard Stallman (as much as many of you loathe him), has been working
with Senator McCain's office trying to help educate him on the ills of the
proposed legislation. In talking with RMS, I think its time that we band
together locally and meet with Mr. McCain's office. It is much more
valuable for 'large' numbers of his constituency to oppose him rather than
people outside his own state.

If you are interested in helping lobby against this please contact me. I
have found some letters by G.D. Thurman (from plug) on the net and know
some folks in Flagstaff are interested.

I have key contacts for McCain and would like to organize something.
Please contact me via this list or privately at .

Many thanks.

-Derek