DiVX Videos

Author: Kurt Granroth
Subject: DiVX Videos
On Friday 27 December 2002 08:08 am, Nathan England wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good HOWTO for making divx videos under linux?
> Or is anyone willing to write a quick run down?
>
> I'm hoping it's as simple as putting a dvd in a dvd-rom drive and running
> mencoder on it. Or something like that. But I haven't found anything that
> works off a dvd drive. Do you have to have a video capture card and
> software?

There are quite a few ways. The most popular seems to be using mencoder to
do it directly.. but you need to have a decent bit o' knowledge to do that.
This is the common guide for that:
http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/other/ripping_dvds_to_divx_with_mencoder.html

I'd recommend trying one of the GUI ripping/encoding tools. I've used k3b
recently
(http://k3b.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=transcode-mini-howto.html) but I
think dvd::rip is more popular (http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/)
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist |