Permissions

Author: David Mandala
Subject: Permissions
Execute bits are to Linux/UNIX as to .exe and .com and .bat files are to
DOS/Windows. One of the key differences between Linux and DOS/Windows is
that the name.extension of a file does not effect if a file is
executable or not. If the x bit is set the file is considered
executable.

The read bit means exactly that it is possible to read the contents of
the file. It does not mean you can actually read it it might be a binary
file.

The write bit also means exactly that, it is possible to write to the
file or modify the file.

Cheers,

Davidm