ACPI support

Author: Lee Einer
Subject: ACPI support
Thanks, Bryce-

I tried that command-- it does shut down Linux, but that's not precisely
what I'm after. I can do that with the GUI. APM provided power
management by automatically shutting down fans, suspending the hard
drive, etc if there was no activity within a specified time frame. APCI
should have the same capability, but I have checked the Kernel
Configurator and APCI is not configured in my kernel. From some stuff I
have read on the internet, I am not entirely sure that APCI for Linux
has this capability even if I do get it configured in the kernel. My
exposure to this issue has been only a few hours, so I don't really know
diddly about APCI, except that it delegates power management tasks to
the OS which were previously managed by the bios under APM. I don't want
my PC, fans, hard drive etc up and running 24/7, but it rankles me to
have to shut down and reboot regularly. I would like to get the sleep
and suspend features working under APCI, or at least find out if I need
to live with the status quo, and if there are any work-arounds.