Upgrading to Red Hat 8 or some other distro

Author: Ted Gould
Subject: Upgrading to Red Hat 8 or some other distro
--=-/5Li4wiSnP5k176TBnLp

Okay, so wanting to know more about the package formats, I started to
look through Google and see what I could find. This is it:

Here is a comparison done by the guy who writes alien, a package
conversion utility - it puts all the different package formats in a
table and compares them:

http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/

And in French (don't you just love Google :)

http://www.linux-france.org/article/choix-distri/paquetage/

Here is a good introduction to the package formats for newbies, kinda
how to update no matter what your running. I thought it'd be useful for
the list.

http://db.ilug-bom.org.in/Documentation/NGL/packaging.html

In general, it seems that people think that RPM was the first serious
package format for Linux and it did a pretty good job. The Debian
format came along and took it one step further. The only real argument
here is whether the delta is enough to change. Basically the Redhat
folks are saying that there isn't enough difference to justify the
change. As an interesting piece of trivia: apparently RPM runs
significantly faster :)

So when it comes down to it, the Debian format is probably slightly
better, but people really like apt :)

        Have fun,
            Ted

--=-/5Li4wiSnP5k176TBnLp