Jpilot

Author: Voltage Spike
Subject: Jpilot
On Saturday, November 16, 2002, at 02:40 PM, Michael Havens wrote:

> Exactly what do these lines do?
>
> $ ./config

Should be ./configure (at least in most cases). Since there are subtle
(and some not so subtle) variations between different unices, this
command helps ensure that you have all of the required components and
sets up your build environment to use these components.

This is where you usually want to specify any options, such as the
install directory.

> $ make

Execute the program make, which is a swiss-army knife of build tools.
This command will generally do everything necessary to compile the
program.

> $ make test

Some program authors provide this option as a way to ensure that the
program is not completely broken. They are generally very simple tests
that ensure basic functionality with the newly built program.

> $ make install

Copy the files over to the install directory in a general Unix-y way
(bin, lib, share). This is probably the only step that will require
you to be root since the default install directory is "/usr/local" and,
by default, is not "world-writeable".

> Are these the lines entered for compiling a program?
> If so I'm compiling openssl in the hopes it will give me
> libpisock.so.8.html
> and libcrypto.so.0 .... Well I just tried and I guess it doesn't. It
> just gave
> me the same error:

Install libopenssl0 off of the CDs to get "libcrypto.so.0".
"libpisock.so.8" (the pilot-link library) is usually in an RPM called
libpisock8. However, your version might be out of date (i.e.
libpisock.so.7). If there is not an RPM available, then it is
generally a good idea to have someone experienced carefully walk you
through the source code installation.

- --
                                                            Voltage Spike
       ,,,