ftp directly to a device

Author: Daniel Montagnese
Subject: ftp directly to a device
Group:

I appreciate the responses to my questions about ftp's directly to a
device.

The system used is an embedded Linux system running on a pci card inside
of a large format printer. The only thing listed in /var/ftp is a link
to a device in /dev. Any connection to ftp is accomplished with no
authentication. Any file "put" into the directy never appears in the
directory listing, but is written to the listed device which represents
the pci interface to the motherboard.

This behavior baffled me - and no wonder. I just found out that the ftp
source code had been modified to accomplish it.

We have witnessed a benefit of open source.

All the best,
Daniel F. Montagnese