Mac OSX and Windows 2000 Active Directory

Author: Kevin Brown
Subject: Mac OSX and Windows 2000 Active Directory
Bryce C wrote:
> You might want to talk to a MUGger (they charge money though, hehe,
> mugger) but try finding the desktop folder under the user's(your's) home
> folder copy a template icon from somewhere else when mounted and then
> delete when you unmount. Just a guess from my limited experience,
> playing at CompUSA and Fry's.

>>>Thanks. I would very much appreciate it.
>>>
>>>So far I've been able to get the Mac to mount a share from a temp Win2k server,
>>>but didn't spot an option for making them remounted during login (used Apples
>>>GUI to mount them). I'd prefer not to have to use fstab as that is a point of
>>>weakness for security if the machine gets broken into (username and password in
>>>plaintext) and it would always mount the shares as the same user.
>>
>>OK, well I now have a MAC laptop of my own (my new work machine). I can mount
>>the SMB shares from fstab, command-line, or shell script, but with a few minor
>>hitches.
>>
>>When mounted via the OSX gui it creates the mount point, mounts the requested
>>share and then places a certain icon onto the Desktop. I can, so far, mimic the
>>first two (create the mount point and mount the share), but can't replicate the
>>third behavior.
>>
>>Anyone got any pointers?

OK, found a workaround for anyone else that might be interested in this.
Mounted the desired share using the GUI, then create a shortcut in the Favorites
folder by copying the Desktop link to it. Now when the user wants to mount that
share, they just double-click that item from their favorites folder and it gets
remounted.