Potential PLUG Presentation?

Author: der.hans
Subject: Potential PLUG Presentation?
Am 03. Nov, 2002 schwätzte Ted Gould so:

> I'd like to help with this, but I know the Knoppix (sp?) does KDE, and I
> don't know very much about KDE. I wouldn't mind covering GNOME and
> Linux stuff that is lower down.

They're similar enough, especially for the amount of time we'd have. PLUG
has been using Knoppix as a demonstration platform. I'd like for that to
continue ( even though I don't use KDE ).

Knoppix runs on the computers as SCC. Thurman uses it in his class. I used
it there a few weeks ago when I substitute taught for him.

> How technical are these presentations? I don't really know what a "A+
> Prep class" is? Do they want to know about how the kernel operates and
> handles scheduling or more the how to use a Linux system? Are these
> potential sys admins?

They're entry level. I think A+ is required to take any other computer
classes. I think we'd be best off doing a presentation on the desktop and
covering some of the tech/server features ( remote admin, #1 web server,
language support, update capabilities, lack of security mis-features, etc.
). We should probably also cover philosophy of Free Software.

Those who've taken similar classes might be able to give us some insight on
what would be best for us to cover. Kudzu? How the kernel controls the
hardware? Writing device drivers?

Currently I can make 18Nov2002, but the Fri morning ones will be difficult.

I'll be at the PLUG-devel meeting, so 02Dez2002 doesn't work for me.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then