Xmms and RH8

Author: Voltage Spike
Subject: Xmms and RH8
On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 02:25 PM, Scott wrote:

> Not so easy to do. MP3s, for better or worse, are already entrenched
> in
> the market. Just look at the number of devices - car radios, portable
> cd
> players, etc - that have the ability to play MP3s. Ogg may be a
> "better"
> format due to all the IP insanity, but at this time Ogg is to MP3 what
> Beta was to VHS.

Don't forget that Ogg Vorbis is also better from the viewpoint that
equivalent bitrates will yield higher quality (or your music files will
be smaller at the same quality). They have the ability (although not
yet implemented) be "stripped" as required for streaming or use on
portable devices. There are a few other reasons, but I think you get
the idea.

However, I must agree about MP3 files being entrenched. If not for the
fact that neither my iPod nor my Rio SP250 will play Ogg files, then I
would be 100% Ogg (as I was before I went portable). I believe this
might get better in the future, but only time will tell.

If you only use software, though, then Ogg should not be a problem. It
is supported (without any extra downloads) by Winamp and others on the
Windows side. On the Linux side, I sure hope it is supported by
everybody (I know of at least xmms). Furthermore, several popular
file-sharing clients correctly recognize Ogg audio files and integrate
with the same degree of functionality as MP3.

Ogg Vorbis is predictably becoming popular in arenas where sharing is
not an issue. More specifically, I am referring to the fact that
games (Serious Sam and Unreal Tournament 2003 from memory) can proclaim