Hello all! (the Gray Screen of Death)

Author: Scott H
Subject: Hello all! (the Gray Screen of Death)
I don't think there is any 'gray screen of death'
in Linux, but I don't doubt you had what looked
like one. The MS BSOD is produced by an actual
software piece that captures system failures and
displays the blue screen with whatever info it
has about the crash.

As far as what happened on your system, more info
will help. Are you aware that if your screen
hangs, in Linux, you can hit Ctl-Alt-F1 and get a
log on prompt? When I first started in Linux, I
didn't know about this, and thought my computer
was crashed when in fact I could have logged in
on another session screen and fixed the issue.

I'm somewhat new to Linux myself, so I may not be
able to figure out what your problem was, but I
can tell you that specific info about what you
were running and what you did right before the
gray screen will help figure this out. So feel
free to post more detail to this list. Has it
happened since? What distro are you running?
What hardware?

Scott

.