MS2LINUX - Authentication basics

Author: David Mandala
Subject: MS2LINUX - Authentication basics
Sorry my bad explanation you keep the user accounts on the NIS server
and normally keep the root and systems accounts on each server and
desktop. That way if the NIS system is down or networking is down the
admins can get on the local system. There are ways to cache the NIS data
but not normally done.

You could put all of the data on the NIS server but that is normally not
done since if the cache expired and the NIS server was not able to be
reached you would be completely unable to access the machines.

Davidm