Digital Signing

Author: Randy Kaelber
Subject: Digital Signing
Shawn Rutledge wrote:

> gpgkeys is a program that refuses to run without X. I'm guessing
> gpgkeys_http would be a simple command-line client which returns
> the result of a query to an http keyserver, but it doesn't seem to
> exist on Debian.

I can't speak to key management handlers... It has been at least 9
months since I had to add a key. Check back with me in 2 months when
one of my closet friend's key expires. :-)

> So I guess at least it's connecting to the MIT keyserver (right?) but not
> finding Derek's key. And this search
>
> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=derek%40gnue.org

I can't make Derek send his key to the servers.

> also finds nothing, whereas for Randy:
> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=Kaelber&fingerprint=on
>
> quite a few, but none for this latest ASU address. So I guess you have
> to get a new key for each email address that you use?

Actually, no, it's up to you. You can add multiple addresses to the same
key, or make separate ones if you wish. My personal preference is to
make a separate key for various "roles" (e.g. A work key, a personal
key, a 'webmaster' key, etc.) where communication is unlikely to
overlap, rather than email addresses, but that's just me. You can stick
a ton of addresses on a single key if that's your pleasure.

As for my key, I don't use gpg at work (for a variety of technical and
preferential reasons that are tedious to me, so they'd bore you stiff) ,
but if I did, you'd see it there.  However, this key is my current one:
38615805     Randy Kaelber (Home email key)
<>.  If you want to send mail to me
there, if you send me a signed message, I would add you to my key
automatically.  I'd mark it as untrusted and certainly wouldn't sign it
until I met you face to face and verified your bona fides adequately.
Just because a public key is untrusted doesn't mean it's worthless.  I
can still encrypt mail to you and I'm reasonably confident that only the
person(people) with access to its secret key can decrypt it.  It can
also check that the file was delivered as signed, even though I don't
know who actually signed it.

I consider my act of signing someone's public key similar to swearing an
affidavit saying "I am highly confident (though not necessarily certain)
that the person using this key is the person she says she is."
It's a system where everyone is a notary public, and it's up to you to
determine the trustworthiness of the notary publics.

This process is *no* different (though the technical details certainly
vary) from the act of certificate authorities for secure web servers,
except that we rely on a more centralized form of notary publics
(Thawte, Verisign, et al) for that in general, though you personally can
add new certificate authorities to your web browser.
--
Randy Kaelber

Software Engineer
Mars Space Flight Facility, Department of Geological Sciences
Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA

"Anarchy is the sure consequence of tyranny; for no power that is not
limited by laws can ever be protected by them." - Milton