Backup Cron Job

Author: Tom Emerson
Subject: Backup Cron Job
Phil, the script you want sounds like it will be very customized to your
host. I'd suggest starting by doing the commands you want by hand, from
the command line. Once you see success here, save (cut & paste) the
commands you used to a file. Better, save each command as you run it (my
choice!) so you don't get to the end and wonder what that second command
was...

Also, have a look the "mysqldump" command. This may meet your needs
without requiring a MySQL server shutdown.

I would be very hesitant using example scripts here. Perhaps only use
somebody else's scripts to get ideas from, but use these only where you
really know what each command in the script is doing.

The real kicker here, get another computer, install from scratch, restore
from your backup, see if it really works. If you don't do this, some day
in the future you may be very sorry. Prove the backup really works! (I
speak from very painful real-world experience!)

- tom e.