UT2003 For Linux!

Author: Voltage Spike
Subject: UT2003 For Linux!
On Saturday, September 21, 2002, at 06:54 PM, Don Calfa wrote:

> Although I run UT for Linux by running the conversion script, I bought
> the Linux version of Quake 3. I prefer Unreal to any other FPS game,
> neater weapons. Looks like I'm getting this one for myself as well.

You mentioned that you played UT for Linux, and I would just like to
point something out. I have been running the demo of Unreal Tournament
2003 (Linux on my box, Windows on other's) since it was unleashed on
the Internet. Unlike UT (the original), the OpenGL, Linux version of
UT2K3 is not crippled in the graphics department. Although I have not
performed a side-by-side comparison between the two, I could not tell
the difference between the OpenGL and Direct3D rendering engine.

Also of note (for those interested):

* The game interface for UT2K3 is much improved. What frustrated me
most about the original was the clunky, slow, and ineffective user
interface that one was presented before jumping into the action. The
new interface is extremely well done, and possibly one of the best I
have seen.

* UT2K3 does not play like UT. Although one major draw, the "neater
weapons", has not been changed, the game physics, rules, and weapon
behavior has been altered enough so that the game is much more like
Quake 3 than the title from which it draws its name. I find the
changes to be for the better, but there are many that do not agree with
me.

Sorry for this off-topic post. I have been trying to get back into
games recently, and I thought I would share my experiences. Hopefully,
this post help will sell a few more games and you can give your thanks
to the developers for a quality Linux release.

--
                                                           Logan Kennelly
       ,,,