PLUG website (was Re: class this Wed!)

Author: Thoreau
Subject: PLUG website (was Re: class this Wed!)
Even with themes, it still maintains the canned look, altho it does help a
LOT if the admin isn't so lazy as to accept the default theme. I can find a
person to handle general design (samples at www.spacetiger.com
www.spacetiger.com/xanthotech www.spacetiger.com/supportbeamBETA.) And one
or two people semi-proficient in PHP could easily pull off the application
end, while either myself, my friend zed, or anyone else here could work on
the database end. Sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't too bad.
Much easier to reinvent the wheel, than to retrofit one while driving down
I-17 at 90mph. Not that *I* would do that. =)

What level of content management are we looking for? A basic news system
allowing for posting info on upcoming events, activities, etc would be a
very simple task. Even to add a web calendar would not be much work (god
bless planetsourcecode.com). This would all still allow for each authorized
administrator to add/modify/remove content, or even make the site rotate
content based on any number of variables such as date.

I'm not sure how the PLUG mailing lists work, but if they happen to store
information in a SQL database, that makes the site potentially even more
interactive. Toss in a somewhat customized version of phpBB, and youve got
yourself a good start, and a solid platform for future expansion.

I truly think that by building a minimal framework now, PLUG can set a
foundation upon which to add new features in the future, much more easily
than modifying another design/system. The process of building a decent CMS
wouldn't take very long either. Show us an ftp account with php/mysql and
give us a week, and you would find a new site up and running. Could prove
to be faster than postnuke should that particular system run into any
glitches.

Of course, like you said, the main focus is to get PLUG's limited resources
back onto more important things. I think, however, that the small
investment in time/energy up front would pay off not only immediately, but
in the future. Whichever path is taken, it's still better than the current
situation, so whatever works, well, works.

Adam Rader