Sawfish/Nautilus Desktop

Author: Voltage Spike
Subject: Sawfish/Nautilus Desktop
On Monday 29 July 2002 11:47 pm, Bryce C wrote:
> Just a couple of hours ago, I had sawfish/nautilus (I'm not sure which)
> managing my desktop, not just being the window manager. However, I had
> to kill a nautilus window (it was probably nautilus doing my desktop)
> and then all my desktop icons, whatnot, was gone (it was nautilus). Can
> someone please tell me how to restore this?

I know this might sound silly, but did you try logging out and back in? If
that doesn't work, then you probably have a lock file hanging around. Log
out of all your shells and (as root) 'rm -fr /tmp/*'. Note that this should
be safe, but it might cause problems if a running process had a file there.
If possible, you might 'init s' (single user mode), remove the files, and
then 'init 5' (to bring back the graphical login manager).

- --
                        Voltage Spike
      ,,,
     (. .)