Mandrake Misadventures and a happy ending

Author: Lee Einer
Subject: Mandrake Misadventures and a happy ending
Hi, All-

Sorry I was less than attentive at the meeting last night. There are
happy experiences, and then there are learning experiences; my Mandrake
install was one of the latter, but it all ended well. The upside is that
I may have gained some knowledge which might come in handy at the
Installfest.

I attempted, with the aid of some fellow PLUG members, to set up my PC
with a triple boot- I already had Windoze 98 and Corel Linux set up with
a dual boot, and was attempting to install Mandrake 8.2 as a third OS on
the remaining space of my hard drive. When the install completed and I
rebooted, the boot hung with an LIL message. The only way that we
could get the Mandrake OS to boot was with a boot floppy, and Windoze
and Corel both appeared to have left the building. Several hours of
fiddling with settings, etc passed the time (although I am sorry to
have missed Robert's presentation) but with no positive effect.

This morning, after several hours of additional fiddling, I found the
answer(s). Step one was to switch the boot loader from Lilo to Grub
(Grub being reputedly less tempermental than Lilo.) This worked to the
extent that I got a splash screen on reboot that offered me my choice of
OSs. Windoze and Mandrake both booted from this screen with no problem;
attempting to boot Corel Linux resulted in a kernel panic. Bummer!

Step 2 was to go into control center and reconfigure the settings for
the Corel partition from "Linux" to "other." Worked like a charm.
Mandrake's boot manager apparently (like many critics) views Corel as
being more Windows than Linux...

My thanks to Robert and Steve, both of whom came early to the PLUG
meeting to help me with the install, and maintained patience and good
cheer, even when I failed to. You guys are great!

Lee