SuSE annoyance 1

Author: Trent Shipley
Subject: SuSE annoyance 1
On Sunday 21 July 2002 08:22 pm, Peter Buechler wrote:
> On Friday 19 July 2002 22:57, Trent Shipley wrote:
> > Suspicion:
> >
> > Either I need to find the script that reads and executes /etc/profile and
> > have it also execute /etc/profile.local OR have /etc/profile "execute"
> > /etc/profile.local.
>

> Only put it in /etc/profile.local if you want this to apply
> to all users in your machine.

Exactly. These should be global values for the SuSE machine.

Note that I finally did get the desired result. However, it involved
abandoning the idea of using /etc/profile.local. Adding the commands to a
file called /etc/profile.d/pgsql.sh.

Note that I was too lazy to create a corresponding /etc/profile.d/pgsql.csh.

> It should not be necessary to reboot after you change /etc/profile.local.
> It is sufficient to start a new bash shell by typing
>
> "bash --login"
>
> If you look through /etc/profile you should find a line that executes
> /etc/profile.local if it exists and has size greater than zero:
>
>     test -s /etc/profile.local && . /etc/profile.local

Nope. Also /etc/profile is in mode 0rw-r--r-- and seems to work fine. It
wasn't clear to me how /etc/profile got executed unless many read-only files
were concatenated and then run by an executable script.

I didn't try modifying /etc/profile by adding ./etc/profile.local. However,
parallelism indicates that ./etc/profile.local *should* be a read-only file.
/etc/profile.d/pgsql.sh is -rw-r--r-- and it runs fine.