Copy and paste in X

Author: Voltage Spike
Subject: Copy and paste in X
On Thursday 11 July 2002 20:25, Victor Odhner wrote:
> The classic X treatment is that a string is copied if
> you highlight it. But then if I go to a browser's
> address line, and highlight its contents in order to
> replace them, I have just wiped out the clipboard.
> So instead I have to click at the end of the previous
> URL, and backspace to kill it before center-clicking
> to paste in the new one. What am I missing?

If you don't wish to hold down backspace to delete the current location (and
who would?), then you can type Control-U to delete to the beginning of the
line. This key combination should work in every application that doesn't
explicitly override it, by the way.

PS: It was mentioned that Konqueror had a clear button, but I thought a good
reminder would be to use the Klipboard (under KDE). Single-clicking on this
icon (usually next to the clock) will result in a list of the previous 7
(configurable) selections. I have also seen such applications in other
environments, but I don't have their names readily available.

- --
                        Voltage Spike
      ,,,
     (. .)