Linux Terminal Server

Author: Charlie Bullen
Subject: Linux Terminal Server

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C22009.5D5AC720

Is there any reason why a non stipped down computer wouldn't work as a =
workstation. I don't have an extra old compter sitting around. Could I =
use the boot from floppy option and then leave the nomral operatining =
system intact but unused?=20

My understanding is that once the boot over the network occurs, all disk =
activity is then on the server. If this can be done, with no impact on =
the operating system installed on the workstation, my employer will let =
me proceed. =20

I have been having some real good results using my linuxbox at work and =
1 of my co-workers is real interested in using linux for for 2 reasons. =
First the greater lack of virus vulnerablility and second, the virtual =
desktops, which allows each of our general types of work to be =
isolatedin its own virtual desktop. Thisis a real advantage as each =
catagory sometimes results in as many as 4 browser windows and 1 or 2 =
other applications running. All done on one desktop gets unmanageable =
real fast.

Regards,

Charlie

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C22009.5D5AC720

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there any reason why a non stipped =
down computer=20
wouldn't work as a workstation. I don't have an extra old compter =
sitting=20
around. Could I use the boot from floppy option and then leave the =
nomral=20
operatining system intact but unused? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My understanding is that once the boot =
over the=20
network occurs, all disk activity is then on the server. If this can be =
done,=20
with no impact on the operating system installed on the workstation, my =
employer=20
will let me proceed. &nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have been having some real good =
results using my=20
linuxbox at work and 1 of my co-workers is real interested in using =
linux for=20
for 2 reasons. First the greater lack of virus vulnerablility and =
second, the=20
virtual desktops, which allows each of our general types of work to be=20
isolatedin its own virtual desktop. Thisis a real advantage as&nbsp; =
each=20
catagory sometimes results in as many as 4 browser windows and 1 or 2 =
other=20
applications running. All done on one desktop gets unmanageable real=20
fast.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Charlie</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C22009.5D5AC720--