PostgreSQL versus MySQL

Author: Lynn David Newton
Subject: PostgreSQL versus MySQL
To persons who have knowledge of both MySQL and
PostgreSQL:

Could someone characterize the highlights and
differences, particularly regarding PostgreSQL? I've
been working on a project where I suggested using
MySQL, with which I am sufficiently familiar to just
jump right in and start using it to design a database,
tables, etc. However, I know utterly nothing about
PostgreSQL, and the person I'm working for believes it
would be a better choice for the project we're working
on, and also doesn't mind the time it will take for me
to come up to speed on it. No problem there, I'm always
happy for someone to pay me to learn something new, but
I also need to get a handle on it as quickly as
possible.

Any short bullet list of comparisons would be much
appreciated.

And lest I forget -- congratulations to PLUG on pulling
off what was apparently a successful event this past
weekend. I was not able to be there myself, but
encouraged others to go.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ