Need Help with Redhat 7.3 Install

Author: Mark Phillips
Subject: Need Help with Redhat 7.3 Install
Kevin,

Thanks again for your help and for documenting this process! I should add one note to your instructions because, in my case, the first time I followed them the kernel build failed.

I used the i586.config file instead of the i386, so that may be the difference. I made two changes to the i586.config file:

1. I changed CPU type to Pentium MMX (which is the processor in my Dell Inspiron 3000, and I am hoping for some improvement in performance - about 50% - 75% based on some Intel propaganda I read on the web for MMX)
2. I removed the pcmcia stuff as you described below.

I think the build failed because one of the defaults in the i586.config file included pcmcia support for the QuickNet Internet LineJack/PhoneJack card. The error message (oops - I forgot to write it down) said the build failed due to some missing pcmcia related files.

You can find this (bizarre??) card under Telephony Support. Maybe it was not included in the i386.config file??

I am rebuilding the kernel again without pcmcia support for this card, and it is still going strong (5 hours and counting).

I will let you know if I find any other problems.

Thanks again!

Mark