Slightly OT: SUN Ultra 30 Workstation equivalence

Author: Robert A. Klahn
Subject: Slightly OT: SUN Ultra 30 Workstation equivalence
I don't think this is off topic at all. See:
http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/

In general, the SPARC chip Mhz runs 2x of the Intel line, thus your
400Mhz is about equivalent to an 800MHz P3. Its apples and oranges,
however, and there are places where it will run more like 3x, and others
where its more like 1.5x.

Linux does very well with SPARC, and, IMHO, kicks Solaris' a**. (Unless,
of course, 64 bit addressing is important to you, in which case, well,
there is only one choise, Solaris, really.) Ive done a few SPARC boxes
in Linux, a U30, a 450, and an E10K domain (highly unsupported, and not
for the faint of heart), and except for the E10K issues, it worked out
really well.

Bob.

--
Robert A. Klahn
<======== New Email address

"Hope has two beautiful daughters: Anger and Courage. Anger at the way
things are, and Courage to struggle to create things as they should be."
- St. Augustine