Adding a third IDE drive in Linux

Author: der.hans
Subject: Adding a third IDE drive in Linux
Am 03. May, 2002 schwätzte sundar so:

> I want to add a third IDE drive to my home server. It's a old Sony
> PCV-70. Are there any good How-tos you could refer me to.

ide bus 0 master is /dev/hda
ide bus 0 slave is /dev/hdb
ide bus 1 master is /dev/hdc
ide bus 1 slave is /dev/hdd

On normal x86 box bus 0 is primary ide and bus 1 is secondary ide.

Normally your original hard drive should be hda. Your CD will be hdb if it's
on the same cable as the primary hard drive or hdc if it's by itself on the
secondary ide bus.

If you have two items on an ide cable use the jumpers to set one to master
and the other to slave. I think you might be able to set them both to select
( or something like that ) if they're new enough.

Look at www.LinuxDoc.org for HOWTOs. There are plenty. There should be one
that covers ide hardware setup.

ciao,

der.hans