mysql -- Anybody want to guess at this one?

Author: Roderick Ford
Subject: mysql -- Anybody want to guess at this one?
David A. Sinck wrote:

> \_ SMTP quoth Roderick Ford on 3/29/2002 13:03 as having spake thusly:
> \_
> \_ any mysql commands to connect or get status (i.e. mysqladmin version)
> \_ produce the following two lines:
> \_
> \_ ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> \_ '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> \_
> \_
> \_ chkconfig shows mysqld is on
> \_ ps -el shows safe_mysqld and mysqld are running
> \_
> \_
> \_ perhaps mysql.sock did not get opened ??
> \_ or, vmware interferes ??
> \_ or...
> \_
> \_ i'm at a loss...what do you think I should check? it used to work.
>
> check for a /etc/my.cnf; it might specify an alter local socket or
> other amusements;
>
> make sure that /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock exists and looks pipish.
>
> I think the build docs someplace say how you can build mysql without
> local unix sockets.
>
> Try connecting ala:
>
> mysqladmin -h 127.1 -u root -p ....
>
> And see if the network version is alive and kicking.
>
> David

/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock does not exist, so it is definitely NOT pipish.

the above mysqladmin commandline (corrected, varied, etc.) returns the
same output as described above (ERROR 2002: ...). Tried to connect from
another terminal (after connecting by ssh then mysql back to here), but
same problem, not connecting.
ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.4' (111)

more ideas?

Roderick