internet ready box at fry's ?

Author: Cap Bateman
Subject: internet ready box at fry's ?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike" <>
To: "plug" <>
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 4:20 PM

> My assistant just brought me a sale paper from fry's.
> There is an Ad on the front page for a Internet Ready
> Multi media PC for 249.00. It says it's running Linux 1.3
> and is upgradeable to WinXP.
>
> Anyone know anything about this? More specifically, Linux 1.3?

Mike,

I bought one of those yesterday. The Linux 1.3 is an x-window shell from
someone called
Fast Windows. It includes Netscape's browser, kmail and a few games. As
sold, it's basically an internet
appliance, with no way to tweak anything. The video is stuck at 640x480, but
setting up a connection
via the onboard nic was a breeze. I can only assume the modem setup is as
easy.

I've already erased the HD and installed win98se for my wife and tonight I'm
going to install
a Mandrake distro for myself.

Let me know if you want any of the technical specs on the box.

Cap Bateman

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message.
However, a few electrons may have been inconvienced.