Consulting Fees

Author: David A. Sinck
Subject: Consulting Fees

\_ SMTP quoth Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. on 3/5/2002 08:54 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ I agree though, more than $125/hr is close to scalping. Either they are
\_ scalping, or they are paying their employees (consultants and/or execs) to
\_ much money.

Let's not forget the supply/demand curves. If you're the only
available person and they're desparate, you *can* charge the moon.

I lifted this from:
http://www.worldoil.com/magazine/MAGAZINE_DETAIL.asp?ART_ID=1521&MONTH_YEAR=May-01
but that's not where I originally saw it.

| There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all
| things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30
| years, he was forced to retire early. Several years later, the company
| was having problems with a multimillion-dollar machine. The company
| had tried everything and almost everyone to get the machine to work,
| but to no avail. In desperation, the retired engineer, who had solved
| so many problems in the past, was called.
|
| The engineer reluctantly took the challenge, and spent a day studying
| the huge machine. At the end of the day, he marked a large X with
| chalk on a particular component of the machine and stated, "This is
| where your problem is."
|
| The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. Then, he
| sent the company a bill for $50,000 for his services. The company
| demanded an itemized accounting of the charges.
|
| The engineer responded briefly, "One chalk mark, $1. Knowing where to
| put chalk mark, $49,999."

:-)

David