Mensan seeks work

Author: Trent Shipley
Subject: Mensan seeks work
Dr. Ghastly wrote

> Also, where I work, they FORCE you to get certification. They make you get
> certified in EVERYTHING. At least they pay for it.

Why on earth would they want you to certify *after* the hire. The entire
point of a cert is to provide some gurantee of minimal competence. You don't
go through a cert process to become competent. You don't even learn that
much from it.

A cert makes it unlikely the certification holder is out-and-out incompetent.
If a certification were sufficient to demonstrate competence and ability we
wouldn't make lawyers and doctors go to school and do internships. They'd
just have to pass their board exams.