binutils and older kernels

Author: der.hans
Subject: binutils and older kernels
moin, moin,

just did a dist-upgrade and got an interesting warning.

###
Kernel link failure info

You may experience problems linking older (and some newer) kernels with
this version of binutils. This is not because of a bug in the linker, but
rather a bug in the kernel source. This is being worked out and fixed by
the upstream kernel group in newer kernels, but not all of the problems may
have been fixed at this time. Older kernel versions will almost always
exhibit the problem, however, and no attempts are being made to fix those
that we know of.

There are a few work-arounds, but the most reliable is to edit the linker
script for your architecture (e.g. arch/i386/vmlinux.lds) and remove the
'*(.text.exit)' entry from the 'DISCARD' line. It will bloat the kernel
somewhat, but it should link properly.
###

If I understand that correctly, this only affects people compiling kernels.
I suppose they should be more clear on that for others who don't understand
such details.

ciao,

der.hans
--